your holiday


Misericordia Church


The confraternity was founded in 1566 on the Scalinata Napoleonica, a stairway in the historic centre of Portoferraio. Its founder was don Giovanni de’ Medici, the commissioner of the city under pope Pius V and the Church initially had its seat at the altar of the crucifix in the parish church. From the example of an older Florentine group it promoted voluntary work with the poor and ill in the city and in 1861 a cemetery was also built which is still used today. On 24th November 1922 Pope Pius XI raised the society to an Arch-confraternity. Now it has greater means to enable it to work better today.

The Misericordia church has a pipe organ built in 1792 and from 1852 mass is celebrated in honour of Napoleon on the 5th May every year. In 1746 a chapel dedicated to the Virgin of Loreto was built next door: the image of the Black Virgin, sculptured in wood dated in the 17th century, was brought to the chapel from the Linguella Tower.

The Miserecordia celebrates: Easter Friday solemn procession with an image of the dead Christ, kept in the Cathedral (papiermache 17th century); San Cristino saint’s day on the 29th April; the saint’s day for the head of the institution (Martyr John the Baptist) on the 29th August; the festival of the Madonna Lauretana on the 10th December.

Among the historical relics kept in the Misericordia Church: hangings, sacred vases and furnishings from the 18th and 19th centuries (screens and humeral veils; cups and other objects for mass, crucifixes and incense burners); in the next door museum there is a bronze death mask of Napoleon (donated by Prince Anatolio Demidoff, great nephew of the French emperor) and a bronze cast of the emperor’s hand, donated by the museum of Les Invalides in Paris.

The actual church where the institution has its seat was built in 1677 and has the relics of San Cristino and the altar piece of 1793, by a unknown local artist, showing the Misericordia Maddona with Saint Cristino and Saint Cerbone.

Getting there: on foot, from the Salinata di Napoleone in the historic centre of Portoferraio.


https://booking.elbapromotion.it/index.cfm/en/focus-on/elba-baby/ https://booking.elbapromotion.it/index.cfm/en/focus-on/ECOHOTELS/ www.elbababy.it http://www.elbapromotion.it/index.cfm/en/how-to-arrive/ferries/ https://booking.elbapromotion.it/index.cfm/en/focus-on/elba-bike-hotels/ www.islepark.it
(Autorizzazione Provincia Livorno n. 129 del 15-12-1997)
di Consorzio Servizi Albergatori
(CCIAA di Livorno REA 56478 – Albo Soc. Coop.ve n. A123701)
Calata Italia 26 - 57037 Portoferraio (LI)
Tel 0565.915555 - Fax 0565.930342
Cod. Fisc. e P.IVA 00324500495
Consorzio Servizi Albergatori soc. cooperativa
Progetto “ PromoElba2019” co-finanziato dal
POR FESR Toscana 2014-2020

federalberghi isola d'elbaThe Elba Hoteliers Association was founded in 1953 and represents 85% of the hotels on the Island of Elba and it is affiliated to the national “Federalberghi” Association.

The “Consorzio Servizi Albergatori” (Hotel Services Cooperative), owns Ilva Travel Agency, which is a cooperative society, founded in 1979, by the Island of Elba Hoteliers Association. About 180 tourist companies are members of it: hotels, tourist residences, residences, holiday apartments and homes, bed and breakfasts, restaurants. It offers about 12,000 bed places.

MEMBERS AREA | PRIVACY POLICY & LEGAL NOTICE © Copyright 2014 - Все права защищены - Made with love in WINTRADE Wintrade WebAgency